Two Suspects in Custody in Alleged Sexual Assaults
2016-04-30 14:55 PDT
File # 2015-1257
On April 30, 2016 at 02:15 am, University RCMP received a report of a break and enter in progress at an apartment building located in the 5700 block of Birney Avenue, Vancouver, BC. Police responded to the area immediately and two men were taken into custody outside the residence.
While the investigation remains in its preliminary stages, police can confirm that they are investigating allegations of sexual assault. The suspects and the victims are not known to each other.
University RCMP with support from the E Division Major Crime’s Criminal Investigations Unit are continuing their investigation and asking anyone who may have seen anything suspicious around the time the complaint was received to contact University RCMP at (604)224-1322.
While the RCMP recognize that the onus is on all of us to ensure we treat others in a respectful manner, Police recommend the public, to consider the following safety tips:
- Lock windows and doors even when absent for a short amount of time.
- Don’t prop open exterior doors.
- Don’t allow strangers to 'tailgate' you into apartment buildings.
- Walk with a friend.
- Beware of your surroundings by avoiding the use of headphones and the distracted use of cellular telephones when in public places.
- Report promptly all suspicious persons and activities to the RCMP.
Additional support and safety resources can be found by visiting the BC RCMP website's safety tips.
Sgt. Annie LinteauDistrict Advisory NCO (Media Relations)
Lower Mainland District
14200 Green Timbers Way, Surrey, B.C. V3T 6P3 - Mailstop #1608
- Date modified: