Investigation into deliberately set wildfires ongoing, information sought
B.C. Southeast District, Osoyoos, Penticton, Summerland, Lake Country
2018-07-05 12:40 PDT
RCMP, with support from the BC Wildfire Service, are continuing their investigation into a series of wildfires believed to have been deliberately set in the Okanagan Valley in the past four years.
In this time period, there were 29 wildfires reported in Naramata, Okanagan Falls, Osoyoos, Oliver, Penticton, Summerland and Lake Country (Map of fire locations). Evidence gathered during the course of the investigations into these fires have led investigators to believe they are connected and that the cause was determined to be arson.
In May 2018, the Southeast District RCMP Intentionally Set Wildfires Task Force was created in an effort to further the investigation into these wildfires and identify the person(s) responsible. Members of the task force are working in partnership with the BC Wildfire Service and other impacted stakeholders.
The Task Force has the ability to focus on all related historical and future wildfires, regardless of jurisdictional and inter-agency boundaries, which have been caused by arson.
The majority of these fires were lit in interface settings, says S/Sgt. Annie Linteau, BC RCMP.
One of these fires, which occurred on July 15, 2017, in Lake Country, destroyed a number of homes. Thankfully, no one was injured or killed but the potential for the loss of life was considerable.
The Southeast District RCMP Intentionally Set Wildfires Task Force asks anyone who has any information about any of the 29 wildfires or who may have seen anyone suspicious around the area to contact the designated tip line 1-855-685-8788 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
The 29 wildfires include, in part, the following:
- July 7, 2014, K50209, Naramata
- July 7, 2014, White Lake Rd, Penticton
- July 9, 2014, Richter Pass, Osoyoos
- July 15, 2014, Mt. Kobau, Oliver
- July 15, 2014, Apex Rd, Penticton
- July 17, 2014, Reservoir Rd / Landfill Rd, Penticton
- July 22, 2014, White Lake Rd, Okanagan Falls
- August 11, 2014, Chute Lake Rd, Naramata
- August 11, 2014, Green Mountain Rd, Penticton
- August 13, 2014, White Lake Rd, Penticton
- August 19, 2014, North Naramata Rd, Naramata
- September 15, 2014, Green Mountain Rd, Penticton
- July 2, 2015, Canyon View Rd, Summerland
- August 7, 2015, Pampas Grass Way, Oliver
- August 8, 2015, Spiller Rd, Penticton
- August 11, 2015, Commonage Rd, Lake Country
- August 11, 2015, Beaver Lake Rd, Lake Country
- August 12, 2015, Gulch Rd, Naramata
- August 14, 2015, White Lake Rd, Penticton
- April 9, 2016, Fairview-Cawston Rd, Cawston
- August 17, 2016, Commonage Rd, Lake Country
- August 17, 2016, Oyama Rd, Lake Country
- July 3, 2017, Pixie Beach, Lake Country
- July 15, 2017, Okanagan Centre Rd W, Lake Country
- September 1, 2017, Westhills Rd, Penticton
- September 1, 2017, Old Princeton Hwy, Summerland
S/Sgt. Annie LinteauSenior Media Relations Officer
"E" Division Communication Services
14200 Green Timbers Way, Surrey, B.C. V3T 6P3 - Mailstop #1608
- Date modified: