Obtain a Criminal Records Check (Police Information Check)
The RCMP in BC, like all police agencies in the Province, provides one form of criminal record check. It is called a Police Information Check (PIC) .
The Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (or CCRTIS), part of the Forensic Science and Identification Services in Ottawa, also provides a product called a "criminal record check." It is available to individuals across the country and you do not have to go through an RCMP detachment to obtain one. This check is different from a PIC.
Although CCRTIS provides its own type of criminal record check, CCRTIS may also be involved in the processing of a PIC, where there is a need to check for pardoned sex offences as part of a PIC-VS.
B.C. Police Information Check (PIC)
There are two types of Police Information Checks:
- PIC - for employment or volunteer services that do not involve children or vulnerable adults
- It will be limited to criminal convictions, outstanding criminal charges and warrants and other judicial orders.
- It can be used for employment outside of Canada.
- You can apply for a PIC when you are outside of Canada by verifying your identity with a local police force or the nearest consulate.
- PIC-VS - for employment or volunteer services that do involve children or vulnerable adults
- It will include:
- criminal convictions, outstanding criminal charges and warrants, and other judicial orders.
- non-convictions and files in which you were a bona fide suspect in a founded substantiated offence.
- It will not include unsubstantiated allegations.
- For employment outside of Canada, see "Can an organization outside Canada request a vulnerable sector check?" on CCRTIS FAQ page.
- You cannot apply for a PIC-VS when you are outside of Canada.
- It will include:
To apply for a PIC or PIC-VS:
- Contact your local RCMP detachment or police agency.
- Bring two pieces of government issued ID, one with a photo.
- Date modified: